The covert narcissist is a term to explains a person who has a narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) but does not display the ostentatious sense of self-importance that psychologists associate with the condition. They may appear introvert, shy or modest.
Let’s discuss few signs of a covert narcissist:
- They lack empathy
- They are very much attention seeker
- Whatever they’re feeling, they will project it onto you
- Extremely critical – Very hard to understand their motive
- Passive aggression is their most common weapon
- They are habituated to blame everyone for their mistakes and misfortune
- Quite Charming personality, you only experience it when they want something
- Often play the victim like a professional actor
- In any situation for the negative outcomes(caused by), they will not take responsibility and will make you feel at fault
- They have the lowest emotional intelligence and it’s very hard to touch their heart or get their soft corners
- You will frequently feel empty while having a relationship with them
- They are envious of people if anyone else has better things. They think they only deserve better than anyone.
- They are desperate to achieve what they want and don’t care if they have to lie or cheat
- They are paralyzed of feeling guilty – which means they never confess of their errs
- As they are not empathetic, they know what you need and will play it against you
- Dogmatic & Stubborn, they only will concede if it gets them something
Treating narcissism can be very hard since many people living with the condition never seek or want help. As the stigma associated with narcissism can make it even more difficult to get help. You will often hear different comments like “narcissists are evil” and “narcissists can’t change”, it may discourage even those who do want to seek help from trying. So those who seek help be kind to them.